Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce and Edinburgh Tourism Action Group (ETAG) have jointly issued a letter to City of Edinburgh Council.
In it, they call for “a level of balance and fairness … to protect Edinburgh’s long established and responsible short term let providers and the necessary diversity they bring to the city’s accommodation offering. Specifically:
- Responsible short term let providers don’t only make a significant contribution to our critical visitor economy, but our culture and festival sectors by providing affordable and flexible accommodation for artists and performers who take part in the city’s 11 festivals annually.
- They also provide much needed short term accommodation to people relocating to the city to work or study here, as they transition to more permanent situations.
- They are used by large corporate businesses who are placing staff in the city on a short term basis, as a cost effective alternative to hotel accommodation.
- Film companies who need to accommodate their staff whilst working from the new film studios in the city use short term lets.
- They are also used by local families who need temporary accommodation whilst they carry out insurance or renovation work, families who wish to holiday affordably in the city and would not stay in a hotel, and visiting academics who often travel with their families.
Read the letter: ECC-ETAG Short Term Let Letter April 22