The Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme is part of ten programmes announced by the First Minister in support of the Tourism Recovery Plan. It was developed to support business and community-led tourism enterprises to take the lead in driving recovery in those places across Scotland which depend on visitor spend to create and support jobs and in many rural areas, to retain important local services and encourage entrepreneurship along the way.
Delivered across Scotland, STLP, which is a competitive application process, offers high-quality, accredited leadership training and ongoing professional development, giving individuals the opportunity to:
- Develop personal leadership skills and expertise
- Gain insight from fellow participants and learn from industry and destination experts
- Become part of a growing national network of people working together to develop innovative tourism opportunities
The courses being delivered as part of this programme include:
- Introduction to Tourism Leadership being led by Scottish Enterprise and delivered by Edinburgh Napier University. Eight courses will run throughout 2021/22, some of which will be customised around specialist sub-sectors and in line with our Business Plan ambitions to work more intensively in some regions.
- Communities Leading in Tourism an online personal development programme led by Highlands and Islands Enterprise helping communities shape the future of local tourism. This is available on a pan Scotland basis and although the first cohort is now closed to applicants, individuals can register their interest for the second pan Scotland cohort today.
- The Destination Leaders Programme, a fully funded course being led by Edinburgh Napier on behalf of the STLP *partners, brings together like-minded individuals to gain the knowledge and skills to work effectively as a destination leader by learning about international best practice, insights and networks. It is open to individuals from tourism businesses and organisations across Scotland with a key and active role in the business.
Three cohorts will be delivered across Scotland, starting in October 2021, with the application process now open.
Cohort 1 – Glasgow and Edinburgh – commencing 27th October
Cohort 2 – Aberdeen and Dundee
Cohort 3 – Pan Scotland
All courses are supported by the Scottish Government and are being offered free of charge to participants.
*STLP partners include Scottish Enterprise, Highlands & Islands Enterprise, South of Scotland Enterprise and Skills Development Scotland